Sunday, July 1, 2012

It's Like A Taste Explosion!


I have been wanting to make fish tacos for a long time now, a very long time. I always talk myself out of it at the last minute because I am daunted at making multiple things just for one dish, and I'm lazy. You can't have fish tacos that are worth a damn without the slaw, the pico de gallo or the fish(in my opinion.) So tonight I made the best decision of my life, and that was to create my own combination of recipes to make the perfect fish taco. I started with the Pioneer Woman because she is my idol. I found her shrimp taco recipe and got all the stuff to make the slaw and the shrimp. Here is where life happens...I finish preparing the slaw and put it in the fridge to chill, I go to make the shrimp and I peek at my can of specialty mexican sauce and see that it is over a year expired. This seems to be a recurring theme with me when I am making new recipes. As I was throwing my temper tantrum about nothing ever going my way when cooking, I suddenly realized that mexican/enchilada sauce actually didn't sound too appetizing along with the other ingredients anyway. So I took to my computer and googled "cilantro lime shrimp," clicked on the first one I saw, gave it a once over and headed back to the kitchen. It was SUPER easy, and turned out better than I expected. Most of the heavy lifting was in the preparation of the pico de gallo(my own recipe,) and the slaw prep. When I was done cooking the shrimp I warmed my corn tortillas and started topping them with the shrimp first, then slaw, then pico, then I squeezed fresh lime juice all over my tortilla(which is a non-negotiable step) and finally, topped with fresh avocado slices. So there you have it, my version of the perfect fish taco. I will post all recipes below just because I love you guys so much and want you to enjoy these just as much as I did! By the way I would like to note that this is NOT a normal pooh bear styled recipe, however like most of the things I have been cooking lately he devoured it and went back for seconds. I'm not sure if that means that his palate is expanding or if I am becoming quite the phenomenal cook, I prefer to go with the latter;)

Pioneer Woman Shrimp Tacos (Slaw Recipe)

Cilantro Lime Shrimp Recipe

Pico De Gallo Recipe

4-6 Roma tomatoes diced finely
Ton of cilantro
Half a large red onion chopped
Half a jalapeno chopped
1 clove garlic minced
Lime juice
Salt
*I added some white corn to mine

Top your corn tortillas(or if you prefer flour like my husband, those are fine too,) with the shrimp, then the slaw, then the pico de gallo, then squeeze some fresh lime juice over your taco and top with fresh avocado! YUMMY!

Shammy Says "Literally a burst of flavors all at once"

No comments:

Post a Comment