Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Best Chicken Recipe YET!

Almond-Crusted Chicken Fingers

I was looking for some different, healthy recipes to make for dinner and I came across this recipe on eatingwell.com. The recipe called for chicken tenders, but to be honest those really gross me out, so I just cut strips from boneless skinless breasts. Also, I did not have almonds but I had cashews so I used those instead. Those are the only two things that I did different. The recipe was a tad difficult, but when I took my first bite, I decided that it was well worth it. My husband has been on a strict diet for a few weeks now, so this was even more delicious to him. He even asked me to make them for dinner again tonight! My personal favorite thing about this recipe is that each serving has 174 calories, 4 grams of fat(most of the fat being mono because of the nuts), 27 grams of protein and FOUR CARBS!! So if you are getting your body ready for summer like I am, this is a PERFECT meal for dinner, just add a veggie and you are set! Enough talk, time for the recipe! Enjoy!

Shammy Says "Now a staple at the Mathias household!"


Almond-Crusted Chicken Fingers


Ingredients:

Canola oil cooking spray
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 large egg whites
1 pound chicken tenders--I used boneless skinless breasts


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil. Set a wire rack on the baking sheet and coat it with cooking spray.

2. Place almonds, flour, paprika, garlic powder, dry mustard, salt and pepper in a food processor--NOTE: I do NOT own a food processor so I just put the nuts in a ziploc bag and used a tenderizer to crush them, then added the rest of the ingredients and it worked just fine. Transfer the mixture to a shallow dish.

3. Whisk egg whites in a second shallow dish. Add chicken tenders and turn to coat. Transfer each tender to the almond mixture; turn to coat evenly. (Discard any remaining egg white and almond mixture.) Place the tenders on the prepared rack and coat with cooking spray; turn and spray on the other side.

4. Bake the chicken fingers until golden brown, crispy and no longer pink in the center, 20-25 minutes. (I cooked them for 20 minutes and they were perfect, maybe even a little less cook time)


No comments:

Post a Comment