Friday, April 1, 2011

This Chili is Mmm Mmm GOOD!!

It's real, and it's SPECTACULAR

There are millions of chili recipes out there, but this one beats out any other by a mile. It was a cold night a few years back, and Fawna invited me over for chili and cornbread. I was hesitant, because up until then I really wasn't a huge fan of either. Her chili didn't look like any other chili I had seen before, so I was excited to try it. I can remember the first bite, it was so delicious and flavorful, with lots of different ingredients, other than just tomatoes and beans. I came home that night and raved about it to Pooh Bear, and he wanted to try it as well. I got the recipe from her, which was originally her Grandmother's. Fawna tweaked it to her liking, as did I. But the best, most unexpected chili ingredient is NEVER left out--dark unsweetened chocolate. When Fawna told me that she put chocolate in her chili, I was shocked, it seemed unnatural, almost like eating nachos without cheese, but it really is the key ingredient in making this chili rich-tasting. Emily now begs me to make it for her, almost on a weekly basis. I am going to unlock my safe and get the recipe out and share it with everyone, because I feel it is wrong to deprive people of truly delicious food. Thank you Fawna for this wonderful recipe that I will cook for years to come!




Shammy Says "My chili...is your chili"

Chili

Ingredients:
1 lb Ground Turkey, Beef, or Chicken--whichever you prefer
1 Red Onion
1 15-oz can of Chili-Ready Tomatoes
1 can of Mexican Rotel
1 15-oz can of Stewed Tomatoes--or sometimes I use another can of Rotel
1 small can of Tomato Paste
2 15-oz cans of Corn
1 15-oz can of Black Beans(drained)
Dark, Unsweetened Chocolate
Garlic Powder
Chili Powder
Cumin
Salt
Pepper

Directions:
Chop the onion. Brown the meat with the onion and seasonings. Once the meat is browned, transfer into a large pot or crockpot. Add the chili-ready tomatoes, rotel, stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, corn, and beans. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for one hour. You can really leave it simmering for as long as you like, sometimes I leave mine on all day. The longer it simmers, the tastier it is. Right before you serve it, grate some of the dark, unsweetened chocolate into it, not too much, maybe just a teaspoon or so. You are done, and it is ready to devour! I always like to add some grated sharp cheddar cheese, fritos, jalapenos, and sour cream to mine. Sometimes I make cornbread to go with it also. You can add or substitute anything you like, according to your own preferences. But I assure you, this will be the best chili you have ever eaten! Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment